Il Cassero Fortress
Il Cassero is the ancient fortress of Ajalta. Nowadays, from the square, we can see only its facade. It is a three story building with a rectangular perimeter, built on a square base, with sloped walls, a sturdy dungeon and four angular watch towers (some parts of these structures can be seen only from inside the Cassero). The merlon has been partially rebuilt.
The old village of Gargonza belonged to the Ubertini, but in 1285 was conquered by the people of Arezzo, allies of the Ghibellini , lead by the bishop Vescovo Guglielmino. In 1307 the army of Florence laid siege to its castle but it was fortunately saved.
Sanctuary of Le Vertighe
Two kilometers away from Monte San Savino, we can find the church of Le Vertighe (XVI century). Its current appearance is due to the restoration works wanted by the archpriest father R. Franci OFM.
Those staying in Monte San Savino should definitely not miss a visit to the recently restored 16th century Cistern.
Thanks to the metal walkway that crosses it, it can be visited inside (free admission) every day.
Built both with mixed material, both stones and bricks, it consists of two naves each of mt. 26.00x5.00 covered with a barrel vault, connected to each other by four large openings with a rounded arch structure.
Outside, under the two niches, you can see the holes in the water dispensing spouts that have now disappeared.