Castle Walls - Monte San Savino - Castle Walls - Monte San Savino
The ancient walls that surround the historical centre of Monte San Savino have a sloping trend with an inlet by the Chiesa del Suffragio. The medieval walls (X-XII century) were destroyed in 1325 by Guido Tarlati, bishop and Lord of Arezzo. Since that time, a lot of restoration work has been undertaken, the results of which are the current town walls. The last work to be undertaken was the demolition of a part of the wall with a tower North of Porta San Giovanni and the repairs of a large part of the town walls by the department of cultural heritage from 1970 to 1986.
The surrounding walls of Monte San Savino have four doors: -Porta Fiorentina
, formerly of Aialta, dates back to 1550. Its design is attributed to Vasari.-Porta Romana
, formerly called Santa Maria in Mercatale, is the only town door which has kept its fourteenth-century look.-Porta Senese
, called Porticciolo Guglielmi, where you can find the coat of arms of the family Orsini.-Porta di San Giovanni
, facing Arezzo, has the name of a baptistery located outside the town walls.