Today this pyramidal stone obelisk looks very worn out. On the top there is a sphere supporting the Florentine lily. The community of Monte San Savino erected it in 1644 because in the May of that year Mattias de Medici, Granduke Ferdinando II’s brother, was invested with the fief of Monte San Savino.
The project was by the architect Don Vitale Perini, prior of Santa Maria delle Vertighe, who supervised this building made by two sculptors from Lucignano , Antonio and Ippolito Bracciali. The pedestal was decorated with the Mattias coat of arms (gilded by Francesco Porcaccini da Castiglione) and praise in honour of the sovereign of which we have received indirectly the text that dedicated the monument to “ Mattiae strnvis ex princibus hetruriae serenissimo totius belli lavdis antesignano”.