Its castle, along with Gargonza, was sold by the Ubertini family to Siena in 1381, then passed to the Florentine republic in 1385 and then again to Siena in 1404. The centre is today renowned for the production of wine, olive oil and for wild boar hunting.
The Church of SS. Peter and Giusto is located in Palazzuolo Basso and dates back to the first half of the 19th century. The church contains a Latin cross, and its facade is quite simple with a pediment stone lintel, a portal and a window. An enchanting avenue with lines of cypresses leads to the higher part of Palazzuolo, where there are a cluster of houses; here we can still see what remains of the walls of the castle.