The city walls that surround Monte San Savino had a sloping trend with an inlet near the Chiesa del Suffragio. The former Medieval structure (X-XII century) was destroyed in 1325 by Guido Tarlati, the Arezzo's bishop and Lord. Starting from this period many interventions took place whose results are the city walls of today. Among the latest restructuring interventions listed the demolition of a part of the walls including the tower of Porta San Giovanni and the renovation of a big part of the walls by the Superintendence of Arezzo from 1970 to 1986.
Monte San Savino has four doors:
-Porta Fiorentina, formerly called of Aialta, that dates back to 1550. Its design is attributed to Giorgio Vasari.
-Porta Romana, formerly called of Santa Maria in Mercatale, the only town door which has kept its fourteenth-century look.
-Porta Senese, formerly called Porticciolo Guglielmi, where there is the coat of arms of the Orsini's family.